Thursday, August 22, 2013

Fog...pea soup thick....

I used to drive a 2 lane road everyday to take my son to school. Two lanes of 55 MPH, each way, sometimes lowering to 45 MPH.  It can be slow going most days, but I will admit, I do pass when it's legal and I am tired of following grampa or the idiot in his beamer trying to make a deal.  Yes, I am guilty of going faster than the speed limit. Now honestly, 55 is too slow for this particular road and it really should be raised to 70 since it's a country road that is in good shape and there are very few houses or roads off of it.  But that's just my opinion.

As I drive, like I said, I pass people.  But the other day the fog was so thick I wasn't about to pass anyone. You couldn't see 2 car lengths in front of you, so I did the limit, following the other 15 cars in the line with me, where normally I'd have worked my way to the front of the pack so I could do my limit. :D  It was even so thick I had trouble seeing as I drove out of our housing development where I have to make a turn. In my car I have automatic lights, they are always on due to a sensor, but I also have fog lights that I can turn on when the fog is thick.  Where I come from the winter time this is really needed, but here in FL it's not usually that often I need them.  The other day was definitely the exception. 

As I'm driving I'm noticing how many are driving without lights!  WHAT ARE THEY THINKING??  Isn't it the law you have to use lights on low during fog?  You could barely see the cars with lights, let alone the morons without lights.  I don't understand, my first thought when the news said it was foggy was to make sure my lights went on, especially after leaving the house and seeing for myself how thick it was.  Don't others think about that when they leave the house? Where is common sense.  What if someone had tried to pass another car on this long stretch of road, not only can you NOT see the cars coming at you, because of the fog, but also because you didn't have your lights on.  The crashes could have been endless because of the inability to see and the pileups that could have occurred.  Thank goodness we were being watched over so nothing happened, but still it could have, because of the common senseless factor! Crazy!

No comments:

Post a Comment